Julie Ponesse, PhD
Director of Medical Ethics
Julie Ponesse, PhD
Statement on Medical Ethics
By Richard Amerling, MD, and Julie Ponesse, Director of Medical Ethics
Medical Ethics has been either abandoned wholesale or highly manipulated over the last 40+ years. Reaffirmation of Medical Ethics is an absolute precondition to the restoration of the medical profession. The Oath of Hippocrates remains the gold standard expression of medical ethics. It is a solemn pronouncement by which a physician acknowledges and pledges oneself to the priority of patient well-being, and to confidentiality, precaution, beneficence and non-maleficence over coercion, compliance and self-interest.
Medical Ethics undergirds the Standard of Care. Sadly, “standard of care” has morphed into “standardized care,” which is inherently unethical.
In the face of the quality-of-care crisis, the third-party payer system, and declining trust in the medical establishment, reasserting the Oath is now more critical than ever.
(Translated by Amelia Arenas) —for Gary Lefer
I swear before my god, my ancestors, my teachers, my fellow healers and apprentices, and by all the arts and knowledge I was privileged to learn, that I will stand by these words: I will love those who taught me these arts as I love my parents and I will offer my skills to the young with the same generosity that they were given to me. And I will never ask them for gold, but demand that they stand by this covenant in return. I also swear that if I earn fame and wealth, I will share it with my masters and my students. I will soothe the pain of anyone who needs my art, and if I don’t know how, I will seek the counsel of my teachers. I will offer those who suffer all my attention, my science and my love. Never will I betray them or risk their wellbeing to satisfy my vanity. I will not hurt my fellow or put a knife to his flesh if I don’t know how, or give him an herb to soothe his pain, even if he begs for it in anguish, if it might take away his breath.
I will never harm my suffering friend, because life is sacred, from the tender fruit that he once was in his mother’s womb to that first sigh he gave out between her legs when he opened his eyes to the world. I will try to understand his sorrows but his secrets will never leave my ears. Under no circumstance I will use his body to advance my knowledge or my fame, unless in his last moment, he or his widow give me his corpse, so that his death may help me understand how to soothe another’s pain. I pray that the attention I give to those who put themselves in my hands be rewarded with happiness. And in honor of the knowledge I’ve received from my teachers, I swear to care for anyone who suffers, prince or slave. If I ever break this oath, let my gods take away my knowledge of this art and my own health. Here speaks a citizen, a servant of people. May I be destroyed if I betray these words.
At The Wellness Company, we hold the following principles sacred:
1. The Patient-Physician Relationship is the key to healing. Building and nurturing this relationship is our primary focus. Social considerations, such as “equity,” “race,” or “gender,” have no place in medicine. We act, first and foremost, for the good of the patient, and to prioritize this above political, social, and fiscal considerations, and especially above our own interests.
2. Strict confidentiality of patient information is essential to trust, and to patient care. We will keep your personal health information private. Sharing with other providers involved in your care is when necessary and is allowed.
3. Independence from industry and third-party payers. Our physicians and providers will not be following industry-produced protocols or guidelines. We will assess your individual situation and proceed accordingly. Every patient is unique. A “one-size fits all” approach to care is ultimately harmful. We will not accept third party payment, as this increasingly has strings attached that compromise our clinical independence.
4. Do no harm. Physicians have the ability to harm patients. A “one-size fits all” approach to care is ultimately harmful. All recommendations for testing and therapeutics will be based on a careful and individualized evaluation of risks vs. benefits. Invasive testing procedures and toxic products will be avoided unless absolutely necessary clinically.
5. Scientific Evidence. Medicine has an enormous base of scientific information that will be used to help diagnose and treat. We employ analytic skills along with the art of medicine to interpret the literature, which is composed of unfunded, has become corrupted by junk science, and government and or industry industry-funded sponsored and performed “studies” of various pharmaceutical products.
6. Education. It is our responsibility as physicians to pass on our knowledge to others, to continue the noble traditions of our profession. We will pledge to continuously learn and to educate our colleagues and patients so that they may collectively make the best decision for patient health.
7. Humility. We pledge to recognize the limitations of our own competence, seeking help from colleagues whenever a patient’s needs require it.
What is The Wellness Company's stance on vaccinations?
The Wellness Company rejects the validity of any SARS-CoV-2 vaccines based on not only the lack of scientifically-proven efficacy, but also the widely reported adverse effects. Any and all "vaccines" should be submitted to proper randomized controlled trials before being released to the public. Additionally, The Wellness Company believes that all vaccines currently administered on the market should be paused and re-examined due to understated risks, such as autism.